Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dr. Pathologist at it again....

Helllloooo world! Its Mr. Pathologist again. Yes, he is pelting my co-worker (and I) with Emails, questions, and concerns...now of course this is an okay procedure. Please......Ask away, and we shall answer to the best ability we can or FIND the answer for you. However, when the questions are followed with...I have experience, education, and a more years in medicine to which I can make a better judgement call on what needs to be modified and NOT be directed by a corporate standard and THIS is how I want it done...blah blah blah. Okay now. Mission control we have a problem and its called.....an unhappy camper!!! Change is a big green ugly monster!

All my complaining aside, he is a very proactive and intelligent man. It is a blessing to have such a person involved in the project and one that is actively and productively participating in the build process. He is involved. Amazing because most people don't want to get near an implementation! A lot of people are intimidated by any form of software design...Not Dr. Pathologist. Cool and ummm...no so cool.

Its okay to have a knowledge that allows you to understand more than the average health care worker or clinician. Actually its more than okay it is down right wonderful!!! But....I respect clinician's for their experience, education, and knowledge....please respect me in return. I would never say that a nurse needs to NOT clean or aspirate a wound in a certain manner in which she is educated and/or instructed to do by a physician. Also, if needed a Foley cath is inserted carefully and with experience...I know because I have done it myself (oh happy day...glorious past time of mine).

I know that standards are not a friendly beautiful thing that anyone likes to welcome with open arms but I also know ...ehhhhemmm....through experience and education that standards are a sure proof way of ensuring data integrity and offer an increased means of efficient work flows and better data management.

Now...with standardization there needs to be someone behind all of it that understands health care and what they are impacting when creating such a standard. Preferably someone with the same skills and knowledge as Dr. Pathology when it comes to pathological tests, interpretive results, and standardization of those processes. Here comes the Standard committee! Yes, this corporation has one...and a damned good one too. Each area of clinical decision making is represented by various levels of clinicians and health care workers. Yes, there is a Pathologist on this committee..and by golly DR. PATHOLOGIST can join if he so desires!

Standardization is not a mold in which the data is permanently formed and adhered to...it is a 'suggested' ideal ...the frame work in which to be guided by. Could anyone besides Dr. Pathologist have experience and education in perhaps their field of practice!!!???!!! Oh pray tell!!!! YES! YES! YES! I have both experience AND education AND Health care clinical experience as well! I am NOT the silly computer nerd who has NO CLUE as to how the system will pulse throughout the hospital! Good Lord.....Phew...that was some fast typing I did here!!!

Feeling better already!

~E