Sept 11 08
I read an article today from MSN on Optimism and your health. This article drew my attention simply because I feel like I live the life of an Optimist. With that said I wanted to see what they said regarding the health of this type of mental outlook. We are all concerned about our health and yes, I want to see my rainbow filled outcome!!
Not too surprising to find that a person who lives their life full of positive feelings would be healthier spiritually and physically. So just what is the big 'research' and 'new' information that proves those that are optimistic have a healthier life? The heart of course!!! Your cardiac health is way better…your blood pressure is better. AND you have a much greater reduction in risk of heart disease. Fantastical!!!!
So, I am told that I am sometimes (much more often than not) a happy go lucky social butterfly. Oh……butterflies are so pretty!!!
I am also told that I am a good one for making someone 'feel' better. Ahhhh…..that's me. The Optimist. Just what is an optimist?
1. (Metaph.) One who holds the opinion that all events are ordered for the best.
2. One who looks on the bright side of things, or takes hopeful views
That is me me me!!! I live by the motto 'Everything happens for a reason…' and I really don't like to see the bad in things and often look for the good.
I have been around many opposite personalities though and they do tend to weigh heavily on my spiritual happiness. The opposite person is the Pessimist.
1. A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view
Now it is NOT that hard to see how the pessimist may be slightly unhealthier than the optimist. Their spiritual being has much less light and positive energy. More stress on the mental side of things which trickles down to the physical.
Remember Y2K?? I work in the world of Information Technology and was surrounded by more pessimists than optimists. It was indeed hard for me to be my fluttery self yet I persisted that the world would not come to an end. While my neighbors 'hunkered' down for the worst saying good bye to those they loved I snuggled up in my bed and dreamed of fairies and rainbows. Um yeah….it is 2008 and we are all still here!!! Life is way too short to be a pessimist!!! Don't freakin' worry!!! BE HAPPY!!!!
Here is a quote from that article for my fellow optimists and my lovely pessimistic friends…
….they lead healthier lifestyles, build stronger social support networks, and get better medical care. Indeed, some studies report that optimists are more likely to exercise, less likely to smoke, more likely to live with a spouse, and more likely to follow medical advice than pessimists.
Link to MSN: Optimism and Your Health - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Depression
There are reasons to try to be a better happier person…....Your Health and the health of those around you
…..what are you? An Optimist or a Pessimist??