Tuesday, July 28, 2009

GovTrack: H.R. 1087: Will keep me actively employed!

GovTrack: H.R. 1087: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House

Shared via AddThis

This ACT submitted into the house of Representatives in February of this year is one that provides incentive and direction for healthcare information technology. Also cited as the...'Assisting Doctors to Obtain Proficient and Transmissible Health Information Technology Act of 2009’ or the ‘ADOPT HIT Act of 2009’. This may be a broad start but it is a start! I am still researching on what direction they are taking as qualifiers for Section 3 (listed below).

(a) In General- The Secretary of Health and Human Services shall develop criteria to ensure and certify that hardware, software, and support services for the electronic exchange of health information meet certain standards, as determined by the Secretary.

(b) Certification Assistance- The Secretary of Health and Human Services may recognize a private entity or entities to assist in the certification described under paragraph (1) using the criteria developed by the Secretary under this section.

My biggest curiosity is what the Secretary of Health and Human Services will develop as critereon for this ACT to be applicible to healthcare providers. The incentives are good....dollars are always a good lure to get organizations on the right track. Oh I know...what about plain old patient care and doing good for the greater people? We don't live in Wonderland or Oz so the mighty dollar is ultimately the 'greater good' for most. Unfortunately so. Anyway, I will post more later as I find the time to research this....I breath a sigh of relief knowing that my job is becoming more and more secure!

~E